The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear. Brian Tracy
Each week here at WestStar Martial Arts in Perth we discuss a Black Belt Attitude topic with the kids in our Warrior Talk. This week will be on Focus. Please pass this on to as many people as you can.
Developing a Black Belt Attitude: FOCUS
The ability to focus is to be able to give one thing and one thing only your complete attention without being distracted. As with all of our Black Belt Attitude topics this one is just as important for us big kids!
Why it is important:
- You need to focus as you may miss out on things that are important.
- Losing focus means tasks take much longer to complete.
- Stay focused when crossing the road. Be mindful to stop talking on the phone, look both ways then cross with awareness.
- Pay attention when a grown-up is explaining something to you. This is the only way to remember what they told you after they have left.
- Doing tests: Make sure you read every question carefully. Complete the test then re-check your work.
- Don’t get angry. Focus on staying calm when teased.
- When playing sport, focus on the game, ball or exercise.
- Focus at martial arts class by listening to the instructor. Wait patiently in line for your turn. Do your technique correctly. Hit the pads with full attention.
- Focus when brushing your teeth.
Ways to focus:
- Take a big breath and count to 3.
- Close your eyes and think of nothing for 3 seconds.
- Make sure you have a good breakfast & healthy foods for lunch (junk food is not good for the brain).
What happens if we don’t focus:
- Lack of focus will lead to lack of achievement or slowing of progress.
- Make a list of all the ways that you used focus during the week.